CREATIVE LIQUIDS

Melding science and art to create liquid miracles!

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Whirlpool Wheat Session & Slurp n Burp Entry #2

Welcome back to Off The Hinge Brewing!  The last post was getting a bit lengthy, so I decided to update you all on the recent Whirlpool Wheat brew session.

I am officially a fan of first wort hopping.  The scent that arose from the Mosaic hops was akin to a midsummer tropical dream.  Hints of passionfruit, blueberries and stone fruit careened up into my nostrils leaving me in a haze of elation.  This may sound a bit exaggerated, but it is only to show you how awesome it smelled.

The mashing was fairly smooth.  I mashed in at 153 degrees F, although I was planning on 150.  The projected Original Gravity was 1.048 and I hit 1.046, but I think it may have something to do with me being 3 degrees over the temp I wanted?

I did screw up on the whirlpool hopping, I thought I was suppose to add them at flameout and create a whirlpool, however Steve mentioned to me that it should be done while cooling the wort.  At any rate, I think it will be fine and should have a great aroma.

Yeast starter stuff
The yeast took off pretty rapidly, however it has dropped off big time this morning.  I have to take a gravity reading soon to see if all is okay, but I have a feeling it is fine.  One of the most important rules in home brewing is to relax.  I sometimes have to remind myself of this and if I don't my wife will.  All in all the brew day was nice and relaxing minus the one boil over.  Luckily, I had laid down aluminum foil to protect the stove top.

Spent grains
Due to the pleasant response of the Lapsang Souchong Smoked Vanilla Porter, I decided to enter it into the 16th annual Slurp and Burp home brew competition.  It is one of my favorite brews to-date and has a great balance of smoke.

Lastly, I am starting my first day as a volunteer at my local home brew shop, 'The Portland U-Brew.'  I look forward to increasing my knowledge, like Bill Murray's character in, 'What About Bob,' it is all about baby steps.  Remember to drink good beer responsibly and be merry.  Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. I can also hear the mmm mm mm sounds like "Bob" when you drink your beer :)

    ReplyDelete