CREATIVE LIQUIDS

Melding science and art to create liquid miracles!

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Anniversary Saison De Rhubarb

Welcome back to Off the Hinge Brewing!  I will be celebrating my first year of marriage with my beautiful wife on Sunday.  I decided to make her an anniversary ale.  She likes her Saison, however what she loves (besides me of course) is her Rhubarb plant.  This plant has been in her life longer than I have, and I figured it would be a great touch to a style that celebrates the farmer.

Saison or Season, is a pale beer that is fruity, spicy and highly carbonated.  It originated in Wallonia, which is the Southern French speaking part of Belgium.  It was often brewed during the colder months when farming is at a low, but it had to be strong enough to last till the summer but not too strong that it would not refresh the workers.  This style usually ranges from 5 - 7% and is often hard to define, but you know when you take a sip that it is a Saison.  That being said let's move on...
     
To get the most out of the 2 1/8 lbs. of Rhubarb, I picked it the night before the brew and froze it.  I did this so that the cellular walls of the Rhubarb would burst and would kill any microbial.  This also helps the juices from this Polygonaceae to blend better with the wort.  I planned on putting the Rhubarb in With 10 minutes left, yet had an issue with the Belgian Candy Sugar not melting quick enough.  They were both suppose to go in at the same time, yet the Sugar went in at 7 minutes left and the Rhubarb at flameout.  I am not worried, I think it was a happy accident.  I also added gypsum in an attempt to make the water resemble Wallonia's, which is hard compared to Portland's soft Bull Run water.  

The recipe is simple...
90 min mash at 150 degrees F (boiled the strike water prior to mashing to ward off any chlorine)
90 min boil (Reduces S-Methyl Methionine and Dimethyl Sulfide, which is common in Pilsner malt)
Pitched the starter at 67 degrees F

10 lbs.  Pilsner malt
1/2 lb.  Clear Belgian Candy Sugar
1/2 oz. Willamette hops (first wort)
3/4 oz. Willamette (30 mins.)
1/2 oz. Tettnanger (0 min.)
1/2 tsp. Gypsum (15 mins.)
1/2 tblt. Whirlfloc
2 oz. Ginger (secondary)

This was one labor of love, but she is worth it!  Remember to drink good beer responsibly and be merry.  Salute!
Stirring up some yeast

Tettnanger Hop Pellets

To harden the water so that it resembles Wallonia's water

Belgian Candy Sugar in rock form

Notes

Rhubarb and I

Post freeze

Right before going in

3 comments:

  1. I hope you have some rhubarb left for a strawberry rhubarb pie...nice :)) Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. I was thinking of doing the same. How large of a batch did you make and did you thaw the rhubarb beforehand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a five gallon batch and I did thaw it out prior to adding it. I bottled it yesterday, and it is great. I had to add 3711 to finish attenuation. I think you should try it out.

      Delete