CREATIVE LIQUIDS

Melding science and art to create liquid miracles!

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Bricklandia

Meeting of the minds
I recently took a trip back to my hometown of Hobart, Indiana; or in the words of my uncle, "The land of mullets and domestic violence."  I was lucky not to have either of those things in my life.  Indiana was the state that I first started brewing beer.  The majority of them off-flavored extract brews.  These first attempts were not fruitless (actually one was a peach wheat), and I recommend everyone tries brewing extract beers at least a couple of times.  This helps one get the process down.  Let us skip to the good shit.  On the last day of my trip we got the whole family and some friends together and made a beer. In my mind, nothing brings a family together quite like beer; although too much and old issues may arise.  Fortunately, this day was full of joy with a moment of panic/low blood sugar.  The kitchen got a bit crowded during the end of the boil.  We hurried up and cooled it down with the immersion cooler and pitched some Irish yeast.  Luke Greener (brother-in-law) and Enrique Montemayor (friend) will see the fermentation through, for I am 2,140.6 miles away.  On Sunday, Luke transferred the beer to secondary and added the cold pressed coffee.  We decided on cold pressing coffee because it lowers acidity and the flavors are more pronounced.  Can't wait for more feedback!  Bottling is on the horizon.  I forgot to mention in the past two post, but I would love to hear what you think about the post, recipes you have made, failures, triumphs, and whatever else related to brewing or beer.  Remember to drink good beer responsibly and be merry.  Cheers!
P.S. The name of the brew is called 'Bricklandia.' Hobart was once a major brick producer and why not exploit Portlandia?  It seems the popular thing to do, plus it has some Portland influence. 

Luke and I are ready to sparge

3 comments:

  1. It smelled fantastic when I added the coffee. Can't wait for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff Matt. Bottling today and cant wait to taste.

    ReplyDelete