CREATIVE LIQUIDS

Melding science and art to create liquid miracles!

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Building a Mash Tun

Welcome back to Off The Hinge Brewing!  I decided to assemble a mash tun.  It was suppose to be easy from the looks of it, yet I ran into a few minor problems and a cut up finger.  First off, the stainless steel threads are sharp and should be respected.  Secondly, step away when frustrated and regroup.  Lastly, I did not follow any of those rules and I have learned my lesson.

I bought a stainless steel weldless conversion kit, which runs about 30 bucks and a bazooka screen for 19 dollars (you can find it cheaper, but I like supporting my local brew shop).  Next, I bought the Coleman Xtreme 70 QT (15 gallons) cooler, which cost 44 dollars.  Turns out that the wall was too thick for the conversion kit and I was unable to fit the o-rings.  This was annoying, but I ordered a male to male coupler extension piece, which ran me 3 bucks and gave me the room to use the o-rings.  All in all this cost me less than 100 duckets and it is cheaper than the pre-assembled mash tuns.

Coupler
Bazooka Screen
Inside look
Birds eye
Ball valve














I will spare you all the boring steps on how to do it, but if you are really interested in building one check out this link, http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Converting_a_cooler_to_a_mash_tun
Don't be afraid to build one, it is a lot easier than you may think!

Can't wait to brew my first beer in this beast!  I need help naming the mash tun, so feel free to give me your two cents.  That is it for now.  Remember to drink good beer responsibly and be merry.  Cheers!


 

1 comment: