CREATIVE LIQUIDS

Melding science and art to create liquid miracles!

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Philosophy Jargon

Welcome back to Off The Hinge Brewing!  In the book, "Brewing Better Beers," author Gordon Strong has opened up my thoughts on the philosophy of brewing.  Anyone who knows me well knows my affinity for philosophizing.  That being said, I decided to take the time to tell you a little about my experiences and how they have shaped me as a brewer.

You may wonder how I got into brewing beer?  I started working at the Aberdeen brewpub in Valparaiso, IN., which is no longer a brewpub.  Sam Strupeck, the head brewer of the joint went on and opened Shoreline Brewery in Michigan City, IN. (http://shorelinebrewery.com/).  If you ever find your way out there you must try the Queen Mum.  That was my favorite beer at Aberdeen and he still makes it.  Working around craft beer made me thirsty to make my own, so my dad and I got a brew kit and the rest is history.

Around the same time I got into brewing things got a little harry.  I found myself disoriented being rushed down a white corridor on Valentine's day ten years ago.  I had been in a near fatal car crash.  When I realized what had happened I burst into tears of joy knowing I still had an opportunity at life.  I am not telling you this for sympathy or for miracle status.  My perspective from that moment on has changed me immensely.  I have tried to live everyday like it was my last.  People always say that shit, but I am being sincere.  This is how I feel about all my batches of beer.  I brew like it will be my last.

I grew up in an artistic home, which influenced my vision of the world.  I went to film school and focused much of my attention on documentary film making.  I love putting a story together with what ever is around me.  How does this relate?  Brewing in my mind is similar to a story.  You take what is available around you and make the best beer possible, and if it turns out to be shit you learn from your mistakes.  My Professor used to say, "you can't polish a turd." Your beer turns out bad there is no fixing it, well for the most part.

All my favorite hobbies and interests fall under the category of boring, yet there is an element of surprise to them all.  For instance, in baseball not much can go on for hours, but wait... walk off home run! I don't want to get to caught up in examples.  There is a patience in brewing you must have, sometimes the beers taste better with age.  Like my mother use to say, patience is a virtue.

Humor is the most important of them all!  I love it dry.  I have been embarrassed many of times, yet I am able to laugh at myself and get back up (sometimes slower than other times).  With brewing there are times when I make stupid errors, as if I had never brewed before.  You can beat yourself up over it, but why not laugh in shame and learn from it?

My Philosophy on brewing in a nutshell: brew like it will be your last batch, be inventive, be artistic, be adaptable, be patient, and most important be able to find the humor.  That is my two cents.  Remember to drink good beer responsibly and be merry.
 "I mean business look" (the mustache is not real)

Cheers!  

1 comment:

  1. Good to know one thing I said wore off lol :)) Love your new blog!

    ReplyDelete