CREATIVE LIQUIDS

Melding science and art to create liquid miracles!

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Slurp & Burp Sucess!

Welcome back to Off The Hinge Brewing!  This blog needs a logo.  I was sketching thumbnail drawings for a possible logo.  I could not come up with anything worth a damn.  I decided to get onto Adobe Photoshop and I came up with this logo.  I would love to here what you think about it?  There is always room for improvement.  Let us move on...

Sampling some brews
Steve and I are going to brew our first quad today!  This beer is a strong dark ale, 'quadrupel' the alcohol.  It tends to be spicy with notes of ripe fruit.  This will be aged!  Strong beers tend to develop nice rounded flavors with age.  I almost forgot, we will be making our own Belgian Candy Sugar for the beer.  Can't wait to mash in and make some sweet wort!





Slurp & Burp
Lastly, I am very excited to let you all know that Angel Dust IPA brought home the Silver in the 16th annual Slurp & Burp competition!  It was quite shocking to hear Angel Dust announced.  It scored a 33, which is in the "very good" category.  The marks against it were in the aroma category, which I feel is accurate.  IPA's tend to lose aroma with age, and it was brewed awhile ago.  Next time, I will brew closer to competition time.





It was great to have Megan & Steve with us.  There were tons of raffle items and we were fortunate to win several prizes.  The Lapsang Smoked Vanilla Porter did not place unfortunately, but we got great feedback and it did score well with a 28.5, which is in the "good" category.  The downfall of the Porter was that the tea tannins made the beer astringent, which I think is an accurate assessment.  Next time, I will not soak the tea for 30 days.  Overall, it was a fun and rewarding evening and I would love to do it again.  Maybe, even be a judge?  That is all for now, I need to go brew more beer.  Remember to drink good beer responsibly and be merry.

Tons of raffle prizes

Lompoc hoodie (I am not that wide the sweatshirt is too big), posters, gift card, beer and a medal not a bad night!
P.S. Thanks Tracey for putting up with me!  Behind every good man is a better woman.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Matt!! A couple more years of brewing and that hoodie will be nice and snug ;) Sorry to have missed it!

    ReplyDelete