CREATIVE LIQUIDS

Melding science and art to create liquid miracles!

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Belgium/Northwest/Tropics

Welcome back to Off The Hinge Brewing!  Yes, it has been a long time... I will save you from the mundane and skip to the good stuff.  First, I brewed outside yesterday with friends!  Secondly, the Cascade Cup and Puget Sound Pro-Am Competition is happening right now!  Lastly, my 2-row barley has sprouted!  I hope that is not too many exclamation marks!

Stir plate in action
I was thinking about making a Cedar Kolsch Beer, but realized it was not that creative.  I decided to make a beer that resembles three of my favorite areas in the world.  I took from the Great Pacific Northwest, Belgium, and the Tropics and came up with a Cedar Mango Belgian Blonde.  I also used my stir plate for the first time, which worked like champ.  I pitched the Forbidden Fruit yeast at 6 PM and I woke up at 1 AM and it was bubbling like crazy, so my guess is that it started earlier than that.  The Original Gravity is 1.046, which is right on target!  Now the wait...

Last weekend, I found out that FH Steinbarts (local homebrew store) was not a drop off location for the competition and it was the last day to drop of the entries, oh shit.  The wife and I decided to take a trip to Olympia Washington for the drop off of, Tropic of Wheat and the Beach Bum Red.  This long drive was nice and we got to check out a small brewery and have lunch.  Hope the beer does well!

Off The Hinge Garden is blowing up.  I planted some barley last week and I noticed the shoots yesterday.  I also added some fennel in there.  Thinking a fennel lavender saison would be a good summer beer.  I will update you continually on the garden.  That is all for now, remember to drink good beer responsibly and be merry.  Salute!

2-Row Barley
Chinook 
Cascade
Zeus
Outdoor Setup
Mash
Steve checking temp
Steve excited
Perfect day for outdoor session
Happy
Tracey, Audrey and Steve
I get serious when I drop my cedar

5 minutes left till flame out

She loves her spent grains











1 comment: